Carryou Ministry has been in operating in Toekomsrus since 2003. This programme falls under the Rand West City Local Municipality district and covers the following areas:
- Bundu Inn
- Afri Village
- Peace Haven
- Randfontein Town
The areas served by the centre has high rates of unemployment and poverty and the centre’s main aim is to ensure their beneficiaries—orphans, vulnerable children – and their families – are assisted with the following:
- Nutritional support
- Assistance with school homework
- Basic counselling
- Referral to different stakeholders for assistance i.e. Home Affairs, Sassa, clinics and hospitals.
- Support groups and psychosocial support.
This programme’s primary funder is the Department of Social Development and a long serving benefactor from the United States of America, Sue Heywood, together with the generous sponsors from St Mary’s Church in Tuxedo, New York, also regularly provide financial support for food parcels for a number of needy families.
The centre has the following staff members:
- 1 Programme Manager
- 3 Social Auxiliary workers
- 1 Administrator
- 1 Orphan Care Coordinator
- 1 Expanded Public Works Programme Coordinator
- 1 Poverty Alleviator
- 1 Cook
- 09 Expanded Public Works Programme Caregivers
- 10 Field Caregivers
- 6 Incentive caregivers
- 23 Child and youth care workers.
CHALLENGES FACED WITH THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
- The organisation was serving daily meals to 360/400 beneficiaries on a daily basis before the Covid-19 pandemic.
- As a result of Covid restrictions, the DIC can currently only distribute food parcels to 150 families each month as hot meals are no longer cooked at the centre.
- This means that many of the DIC beneficiaries are not being provided for as the funding provided is not enough to cater all of them.